Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Canadians Love their Slang as much as Southerners Love their Twang

Heading to Oh Canada and turning my y’all into an eh!

I’m leaving tomorrow for Canada and Romancing the Capital in Ottawa an event put together by one of my favorite authors, Eve Langlais. But a southern girl heading that far north? What I’ve discovered is that Canadians love their slang as much as Southerners love their twang. Check it out.

Canadian                                          
Washroom or Biffy=Toilet                                        
“I’ll be back in a jiffy. I’m just going to the biffy.”

Southern
Ladies Room=Toilet
“Please excuse me. I’m going to the Ladies Room with Buffy.”

Canadian
Jesus Murphy=An exclamation of surprise
“Jesus Murphy! Do you see how tight his pants are?”

Southern
Lord have mercy=An exclamation of surprise
“Lord have mercy. Hand to heaven, I can see everything God gave him and it is not impressive.”

Canadian
Had the biscuit=Dead or broken
“Mike’s old Lada had the biscuit. It was time for a new car

Southern
Bought the farm=dead or broken
“Well butter my biscuit. Floyd’s done gone and bought the farm.”

And how about that Canadian Cuisine?


Poutine—French fries slathered in gravy and cheesecurds.
Whaaattt? Southerners love anything that is deep-fried and covered in gravy.
 
Ketchup Potato Chips
We love out BBQ and our BBQ chips in the South. I get this one Canada. I get it.

Bacon
Although I’m not into the back bacon (Canadian bacon) my research shows that Canadians love hog. So do Southerners. Get the skillet hot and let’s fry up some oink!

BeaverTail—or Queues de Castor (French) is a fried dough treat that’s shaped to resemble a real beaver tail and is topped with chocolate, fruit and even candy.
This sounds amazing. Wonder if they can make some with pralines?

TourtièreThis is a traditional spiced and savory meat pie from Quebec, made with diced or ground pork, veal, or beef. 
In the South we add some garlic, eat it out of a bowl and call it Burgoo.

I can’t wait to use my new Canadian vocabulary and I will post pictures of everything I eat in the Great White North.

Ey y'all!


No comments:

Post a Comment